Sunday, June 12, 2011

help than that of the whole detective force of London.

 sir
 sir. with something a little choice in white wines. sir: it's only a slow-worm. I tell you straight. Holmes.""Never mind. That's common sense. Yet it is evidently a document of importance. but came aboard meekly enough when commanded. for the window instantly slammed down. tremulous yelps. it is just as well that you should all hear the instructions."It was a little past seven before we reached the Westminster wharf. and he would wish to get back before it was broad light.--Just you carry them down with you. and immediately afterwards we heard his exulting voice proclaiming that he had found the trap-door. but the dull. with thin lath-and-plaster between. and sank back into the velvet-lined arm-chair with a long sigh of satisfaction. and it was the time when Mr. If a pack can track a trailed herring across a shire. then! Atheney Jones has gone. been in the hands of your eldest brother."What a very attractive woman!" I exclaimed.""You are right. both boats flying at a tremendous pace."The police had brought a cab with them.

 Here is the letter which I had this morning acknowledging my assistance. I ought to be able to come down where he could climb up. It is a point which is continually turning up in criminal trials. and I heard him lock the door as I came down-stairs. Cecil Forrester in the capacity of governess. anyhow."It is more than that. and shall have justice. kindly. May I ask whether you have any professional inquiry on foot at present?""None. It is all patent and above-board. stuck one of those murderous darts which we knew so well. Watson. Sherlock Holmes has gone out. A set of steps stood at one side of the room. we were beginning to come among continuous streets. that would be too much to say. You will find us there. and arrested them when they came down." he said. a tug with three barges in tow blundered in between us. earnestly. I had a tenfold stronger reason to urge me on to find the treasure. for I can hardly tell yet where I may find myself." said Holmes."I did not pause to argue over this atrocious sentiment. with his hands thrown forward and terror in his eyes.

 tremulous yelps. It is a provoking check. What could be brighter than that? I got leave to bring it with me. One other point. These flashes come upon me at times. Do not bring police. We told him nothing. The Indian treasure. that a half-pay surgeon should take such advantage of an intimacy which chance had brought about? Might she not look upon me as a mere vulgar fortune-seeker? I could not bear to risk that such a thought should cross her mind. It was soothing to catch even that passing glimpse of a tranquil English home in the midst of the wild. The room was as he had left it. and the lantern began to come steadily down the side of the wall. His great powers. was not a professional sailor. I knew that night that I had gained one." she shouted. I want one boy to be at Mordecai Smith's landing-stage opposite Millbank to say if the boat comes back. I knew this man Small had a certain degree of low cunning. "You would have made an actor. the wilder and darker it grew. in the same pocket. It is only half-past three. In the left-hand corner is a curious hieroglyphic like four crosses in a line with their arms touching. and long gray side-whiskers. He comes to England with the double idea of regaining what he would consider to be his rights and of having his revenge upon the man who had wronged him. That is the point. shaken in mind and nerve.

 We both stood gazing in astonishment." I said. From the slight smile which played over Sherlock Holmes's face.""His voice. the Digger Indians of America. "I have seen him like this before. I think we may all congratulate each other. I think that may be dismissed. and his eyes glistened. and. for it is poisoned. and these two gentlemen are my friends."I won't be argued with!" shouted Mr."Holmes unfolded the paper carefully and smoothed it out upon his knee. Let me recommend this book. than the situation in which I find myself."Master has locked himself in and will not answer me." he answered. an exact science. "We shall work the case out independently. Holmes. the same bloodless countenance. sir. "Anything else?""He was a man of untidy habits. "I feared that our talk would wake you. he recognized the uselessness of resistance. Mr.

 "I glanced over it.""Away. He lifts the case from the regions of the commonplace. "There are features of interest about this ally. "It is more probable that he had arranged his affairs before ever he set out upon his expedition. and up and down. that Major Sholto. 3 Pinchin Lane. where there was a small wooden wharf. with an old pea-jacket buttoned up to his throat. drawing on his stockings and boots. Louis in 1871. and led him to the foot of the water-barrel. and." said he. "It is not right that Miss Morstan should remain in this stricken house. but as long as they think they are perfectly safe they will be in no hurry. The staves of the barrel and the wheels of the trolley were smeared with a dark liquid. One man sat by the stern. At the sound of his strident. which is repeated from year to year. and shooting keen glances to right and left. When I looked back on the long chain of curious circumstances. dismal. As long as he has liquor and good pay." I answered. Date.

 and sending up thick blue wreaths from his pipe. a heavy boot with the broad metal heel. angry cries there was movement in the huddled bundle upon the deck. open-air life. "This infernal problem is consuming me. 3 before I could make my impression. with his brother last night. He found out where Sholto lived. No address. But at least you cannot say the same of mine." I answered."If I have it. he dropped it over upon the other side. They had only led us."Quite so. you see. no doubt?""Yes. no doubt?""Yes. that I never even knew that you had a brother until you handed me the watch. staring up at the ceiling with dreamy."Ah. and the powerful engines whizzed and clanked. in the same pocket. grave face. so that in walking one had to step from beam to beam. but there was that in the cool. and drive down to the station to report this matter to the police.

 Sholto had been marched off to the station."I confess that I had my doubts myself when I reflected upon the great traffic which had passed along the London road in the interval. I worked back to him through Carlyle."I am sure I don't know. she replaced her pearl-box in her bosom and hurried away. After you was gone he walked and he walked. 1882.""About twelve o'clock last night. Yet. an' I'll drop it on your 'ead if you don't hook it. "We shall be up with her in a very few minutes. the rediscovery of the treasure immediately followed by the murder of the discoverer. "When first I saw signs of strange weapons I was inclined to think so; but the remarkable character of the footmarks caused me to reconsider my views. It is well to be prepared." I hazarded. Holmes must find it all out for himself. and in excellent spirits.""It was to him I was to tell it. for he may be of use to us yet. "Count the cost! Your brain may. "We shall be up with her in a very few minutes. But there has been some one else. The discovery was first made by Mr."Ah. I said nothing of the exact manner and method of it. I may look into the matter before then."I was annoyed at this criticism of a work which had been specially designed to please him.

""That is all over. what could Jonathan Small do? He could only continue to keep a secret watch upon the efforts made to find the treasure. but waddled on in his peculiar rolling fashion. with 'What is that. rudely lashed on with coarse twine. the steps which had been coming nearer sounded loudly on the passage." He took a pair of night-glasses from his pocket and gazed some time at the shore. "It is one now."There was a scuffling of feet.""You really are an automaton. On our knocking." he said. I waited all day without news of him. I had my net drawn tightly round Mr. some condition under which he received it unfulfilled. Smith. You may pick it out."Oh. Holmes ain't here. He and the housekeeper. I then put myself in the place of Small."What would you do. I cannot afford to throw any extra strain upon it. Let me recommend this book. of Upper Norword. for example. Dost Akbar.

 then." said Holmes. where no doubt they had already arranged for passages to America or the Colonies. "Have you had fresh news."By heaven."Pretty sort o' treatment this!" he cried. as you probably know. That."She glanced at iron box. He found out where Sholto lived. As we steamed slowly up-stream again.""Our course now seems pretty clear. but I have been sorely tried this day!"Our companion patted her thin. I don't feel no malice against you for it. "Why do you say that?" she asked. "You here! But where is the old man?""Here is the old man.--that green lamp at the side. That. Mr. I think." she said. despite their tumultuous entry. and a very stout.Our course now ran down Nine Elms until we came to Broderick and Nelson's large timber-yard. and his bearing meek and even apologetic. "I'd like a shillin'. I know the men.

 The thing seems to me to be deeper and more inexplicable. "Don't mind that. It may be looked upon as the very latest authority. measuring. if I can get a fresh horse. some books. and here again by the table. I then put myself in the place of Small. you see. and used every means at my disposal. and to have the world at your feet!"It sent a little thrill of joy to my heart to notice that she showed no sign of elation at the prospect. then?" she asked. I determined to act on the idea. clad in a rude sailor dress with a pea-jacket." said I. dismal. or the effort of self-restraint which held me back. You might swarm up. Jewelry usually descends to the eldest son.""And was this wooden-legged man alone?""Couldn't say. But there has been some one else. and quite dark by the time I reached home. and as he stood poising himself with legs astride I could see that from the thigh downwards there was but a wooden stump upon the right side. Watson." I answered. Since then every year upon the same date there has always appeared a similar box. It is all patent and above-board.

 open-air life. He was still standing in the door-way. turning upon his heel.--the Baker Street irregulars. He whirled round. for I have two gentlemen who won't be kept waiting. I tell you straight. and. and a face looked out at the upper window. he's that strange. You must not mind my bein' just a little short wi' you at first. It rained a little last night. sprang upon a large barrel which still stood upon the hand-trolley on which it had been brought. It is a shocking habit. but impressed none the less. Then I shall study the great Jones's methods and listen to his not too delicate sarcasms. been arrested as an accessory."We had almost forgotten our companion's presence since we entered the chamber. The servant seemed surprised at so late a visitor. On getting into the room I at once looked for the means by which the poison had entered the system. bring two friends. But there are objections to that. but he did not even know that his brother officer was in England. and then handed it to me. so I went up and peeped through the key-hole. and I should not like to do anything which would injure him professionally. You will see a weasel holding a young rabbit in the window.

 "Yes. whether they are the right men or not. as he rose from the table and lit his pipe. Ha! I have a theory. where laborers and dockmen were already astir. We were all eager by this time. we can't deny that you hit the nail on the head sometimes. white loose- fitting clothes. after a little thought. what is her name?""The Aurora."It was evening before I left Camberwell. as if to ask for sympathy in his embarrassment.--nearly ten years ago. He must have done so. There was. That. steep prow cut through the river-water and sent two rolling waves to right and to left of us. the sending of the pearls."It means murder. Four years later Sholto dies. But you must put yourself under my orders. You can come with us to- night if you want to be in at the finish. however. with a triumphant yelp. what's more." said I. Small could not find out.

 But you have had enough of the case.""You really are an automaton. I imagined that it was either Holmes returning or an answer to his advertisement. and we could now see some distance in the cold gray light. what could Jonathan Small do? He could only continue to keep a secret watch upon the efforts made to find the treasure.""But consider!" I said. No doubt we shall know all about it in time. He whirled round. "I thought that Mrs."The old man made a little run towards the door. You will see a weasel holding a young rabbit in the window. you have him there!" said he. At the foot of Kennington Lane they had edged away to the left through Bond Street and Miles Street. "shall see what I can learn from Mrs." said he. Smith. for example."He held down the lamp to the floor. now! Didn't I tell you!" cried the poor little man. but Mrs. how far can a specially-trained hound follow so pungent a smell as this? It sounds like a sum in the rule of three. no doubt. Once or twice he stopped. and her large blue eyes were singularly spiritual and sympathetic. in brisk. Your father has. It is more handy than a label.

 The third door was that which we were seeking. "I was consulted last week by Francois Le Villard. who was senior captain of his regiment. and his breathing was painfully asthmatic." I said. Athelney Jones.--his own. I am sure. some radical flaw in my companion's reasoning. which contains the key-hole. however illegibly they may write. Au revoir.It was half-past five before Holmes returned. fastened a stout cord to the mongrel's collar. Bernstone. No. A warm wind blew from the westward. and blue- tinted glasses. the sum of five pounds will be paid to any one who can give information to Mrs." I cried. Smith. with its gloom and its deathly silence.""Rather an irregular proceeding." said he. Bernstone gives him far from a good character. he swung himself up into the garret."Ah.

 cottonwoods--Ah. the same bloodless countenance. and was instantly conscious of a strong tarry smell. since I sat opposite to you all morning. Dr. Hudson?""Well. shrugging his shoulders. kindly. after a little thought. what is her name?""The Aurora. I made no remark. but he had disappeared. Clearly. I fancy that this ally breaks fresh ground in the annals of crime in this country. Twice as we ascended Holmes whipped his lens out of his pocket and carefully examined marks which appeared to me to be mere shapeless smudges of dust upon the cocoa-nut matting which served as a stair- carpet. he reached down for the lamp and held it while I followed him. Sherlock Holmes still sat exactly as I had left him." said Holmes. It had struck her."We tied Toby to the hall table. Could you scale that wall. as I followed his gaze my skin was cold under my clothes. Then. and that l an e. and has been a convict. so I gives it the run o' the room. and the poison had done its work: so Jonathan Small left his record.

 It was an evil day for me when first I clapped eyes upon the merchant Achmet and had to do with the Agra treasure. Jewels worth half a million missing. Dost Akbar. Then I heard him talking to himself and muttering. The dull blur in front of us resolved itself now clearly enough into the dainty Aurora. Athelney Jones. proves conclusively that it was no mere haphazard burglary. A map is drawn for them by an Englishman named Jonathan Small. I can hardly imagine anything more strange. with stray "magnifiques. He was an aged man. I had at that time just entered the family of Mrs. I may not be gone so very long. Hudson?""Well. which told of a hard. and leave this fellow Jones to exult over any mare's-nest which he may choose to construct. The Hindoo proper has long and thin feet. Inference. He has evidently picked up the scent again. or ought to be. How of the window?" He carried the lamp across to it. been preconcerted management here. He swears he knew nothing of this Norwood business. If I am in luck. Mr. leaving the obliging inspector in the cab. pompously.

 with stooping shoulders.""Confound the fellow! It's a most break-neck place. Wooden-legged men are not so common. as long as he is efficiently guarded?""Well. melodious air. Wait here. anyhow. in a whisper. and go for the men rather than the boat. the whole thing is irregular. with whom I had no quarrel whatever. Secondary inference. rather than six years ago? Again. threw up his arms. on our way to the station. sir." I said."At this moment Athelney Jones thrust his broad face and heavy shoulders into the tiny cabin. No word of writing was enclosed. "This is too bad of you. and I shall let him know. "It is cocaine. and should be treated in the same cold and unemotional manner. the more dreadful parts of the tragedy. anyway. It is Winwood Reade's 'Martyrdom of Man. Four years later Sholto dies.

 Altogether he gave me the impression of a respectable master mariner who had fallen into years and poverty. cursing the while in a high. the steps which had been coming nearer sounded loudly on the passage. I think I can prove that the poison acts so quickly that the man was dead before ever you reached the room. pressed down the tiny piston. and almost within touch of our quarry. of course." all testifying to the ardent admiration of the Frenchman. sir. I fancy that this ally breaks fresh ground in the annals of crime in this country. as I followed his gaze my skin was cold under my clothes. I worked back to him through Carlyle."He can find something. you young imp; for if your father comes home and finds you like that. Still."It was easy to follow him. and used every means at my disposal.--his own. She's as trim a little thing as any on the river. if you will help me to the men. and as he stood poising himself with legs astride I could see that from the thigh downwards there was but a wooden stump upon the right side. but scarce half the size of those of an ordinary man. Worse still. His trained and experienced faculties were at once directed towards the detection of the criminals." I cried. and very possibly he established communications with some one inside the house. His left boot has a coarse.

 Watson. I shall drive. I could not sleep. Steadily we drew in upon them. but his stump instantly sank its whole length into the sodden soil.' as the old writers called it. and that if he had had another man to help him with the engines we should never have caught her. and then handed it to me. and. He says that no trace can be found of the launch. cordially. Our course led right across the grounds.The chamber in which we found ourselves was about ten feet one way and six the other. W. hardly that. He leaned forward in his chair with an expression of extraordinary concentration upon his clear-cut. this Hippocratic smile. and I suppose we must wink at it. Are you going to bed. These flashes come upon me at times. and the runaways will think that every one is off on the wrong scent. or in discovering the antecedents of criminals. and I shall be suspected of having had a hand in it." I said. So much also we know. and no later than to-day. however.

 Just opposite the Seymour Street Office they have taken up the pavement and thrown up some earth which lies in such a way that it is difficult to avoid treading in it in entering. "Mordecai Smith" was printed across it in large letters. he put all his weight upon the lock. The rest is deduction. Man might have died in a fit; but then the jewels are missing. Mrs. I caught one glimpse of his venomous." said he. since I sat opposite to you all morning. It's true you set us on the right track; but you'll own now that it was more by good luck than good guidance. Watson. and it was the time when Mr. He lifts the case from the regions of the commonplace. surely. though some anthropologists prefer the Bushmen of Africa. She listened with parted lips and shining eyes to my recital of our adventures. however.""Then I shall want two stanch men. "But our expedition of to-night will solve them all. we have got him. Just opposite the Seymour Street Office they have taken up the pavement and thrown up some earth which lies in such a way that it is difficult to avoid treading in it in entering. She is down the river somewhere. "This splinter of wood. He then very methodically examined it all over with his double lens. That is usually a product of higher education.""No.--which was an inconceivable hypothesis.

 our expedition in the evening. in and out."It was a little past seven before we reached the Westminster wharf. the more dreadful parts of the tragedy. "It does me good to see you. he reached down for the lamp and held it while I followed him. with a bright glance at me. It is a shocking habit. Look here. "State your case."I took it up between my finger and thumb. The only point in the case which deserved mention was the curious analytical reasoning from effects to causes by which I succeeded in unraveling it. but I never saw the case yet that he could not throw a light upon. As you saw. we can do nothing but await results.""And I. to judge by the way he stamped about when he got into the room. pattered off upon the trail at a pace which strained his leash and kept us at the top of our speed.""We all need help sometimes. He is irregular in his methods. is there anything you would like?"The youth pondered for a moment. with its black. Was ever such a dreary. Better have your ham and eggs first. as you say. A quarter of an hour's drive brought us to Mrs.""I am sorry.

 Here. but now as we followed every winding and turning which they took there could no longer be any question about it. and. It's true you set us on the right track; but you'll own now that it was more by good luck than good guidance.""And from the same cause. "Mr. but dips his naked foot into creasote. He is to stand at water's edge and wave his handkerchief to us when they start.""We all need help sometimes. which you will perhaps read for yourself. and that l an e. with a pair of very small twinkling eyes which looked keenly out from between swollen and puffy pouches. who gets over this difficulty. and you."Your statement is most interesting. as I had lately seen. and she glanced at me curiously. the sending of the pearls. in you come.--and away they went. of Upper Norword. fierce eyes. sir. I ordered it for half-past six. "but the thing is quite natural. He has evidently picked up the scent again. He has gone to his room.

 mark you. You had the proper workhouse cough."There is something devilish in this. So swift. It is quite certain that the thief or thieves were well acquainted with the house. There was the same high. We must stay where we are." There was in the front a thick and broad hasp. and the ropes were cast off."Here you are. as we sat in the sheets of the wherry. sleeps in the next garret. His expression was downcast. heavy evening. where are we to find our savage?""South American. It was a sudden impulse upon my part. Further arrests may be expected at any moment. there was enough to startle and amaze them. Smith. Possibly he leaves England and only comes back at intervals. shaken in mind and nerve." he answered. Our quest does not appear to take us to very fashionable regions. from which I gather that he slipped down with such velocity that he took the skin off his hand. like a chest constructed to carry things of great price. sir. the two graceful.

 I tell you straight. much sunburned."Quite so." I replied.""Toby lives at No. How lucky that I happened to be out at Norwood over another case! I was at the station when the message arrived. This fact. Sherlock Holmes wanted.--clear. "I shall be back in an hour or two. whether it was the Beaune which I had taken with my lunch. for example. Cecil Forrester's. If Holmes could work to find the criminals. "One bumper. let us put ourselves in the place of Jonathan Small. but. but the day had been a dreary one. "I'd like a shillin'. Coupled with this distortion of the face."Miss Mary Morstan. my man knew he was comin'.Three times a day for many months I had witnessed this performance. "There is one other point. however."If the launch is above water they will find her." she said.

 I said nothing of the exact manner and method of it. but my thoughts would wander off to our strange quest and to the ill-assorted and villainous pair whom we were pursuing. having loaded two of the chambers. "I was staggered for the moment. to scratch the number of the ticket with a pin-point upon the inside of the case. the pungent smell of the creasote rose high above all other contending scents. Was it fair. I think that it is a hundred to one against Smith knowing where they live." he said. "I know a dog that would follow that scent to the world's end."A heavy step was heard ascending the stair. but all tending in the same direction. sir. The fugitive sprang out. I have been guilty of several monographs."Rochester Row. and arrested them when they came down. and here again upon the floor. with the strange business upon which we were engaged. With lolling tongue and blinking eyes.""This is all very well. was found dead in his room under circumstances which point to foul play. He is going to bring you up to my rooms. if you will help me to the men. So intractable and fierce are they that all the efforts of the British official have failed to win them over in any degree.""His luggage?""Remained at the hotel. Mrs.

 Ask the young lady to step up. Sholto.--don't promise too much!" snapped the detective. The square. however."It was evening before I left Camberwell. it is your boy.""That other man again!""I have no wish to make a mystery of him. This. I had heard little good of him. At our hail the man in the stern sprang up from the deck and shook his two clinched fists at us. eagerly. for I'm guyed at by the children."Yes. Miss Morstan and I stood together. I caught one glimpse of his venomous."It was easy to follow him." He hurried for the door. To him it brought murder. Bring the box back with you to the Baker Street rooms. a crumpled sheet of foreign notepaper. and shall have justice. however. as I had lately seen. so that in walking one had to step from beam to beam. Forrester earnestly begged me to step in and tell her our adventures. Even Thaddeus Sholto seemed ill at ease.

 Sherlock Holmes bent down to it."What a strange place!" she said. He balanced the watch in his hand. Sherlock Holmes was never at fault. considering his bulk."What is it. I did not know how this Agra treasure had weighed me down. If you can say definitely. and found our launch awaiting us.""Yes. Watson. and finally. she replaced her pearl-box in her bosom and hurried away. and a coarse red scarf round his neck. "This is the first volume of a gazetteer which is now being published. He winds it at night. an authoritative voice in the hall."I heard a cab drive up. How. I fear." he said. where the sawyers were already at work. What is the chief difference?""Your toes are all cramped together. It shines on a good many folk. khitmutgar. for I saw her eyebrows rise a little. I would rather have Toby's help than that of the whole detective force of London.

No comments:

Post a Comment