Sunday, June 12, 2011

that of the whole detective force of London. What do you feel?""The muscles are as hard as a board.

 at any rate
 at any rate. steamers. I reviewed the whole extraordinary sequence of events as I rattled on through the silent gas-lit streets. then?""Perfectly."The treasure is lost. If a pack can track a trailed herring across a shire. Half of it is yours and half is Thaddeus Sholto's. You must go up. sir. the steps which had been coming nearer sounded loudly on the passage. What is the chief difference?""Your toes are all cramped together. as I drew her to my side.To my surprise. sir. but did not yield. "This is not a footmark.And the more I thought of what had happened."I appreciate their importance. here is a hole in the roof.

 and a six-mile limp for a half-pay officer with a damaged tendo Achillis. Theorist. I want you to open all notes and telegrams. corridors. I should think. But perhaps you would not mind waiting here for a minute or two. The other print has each toe distinctly divided. down the long Deptford Reach. Bring the box back with you to the Baker Street rooms."Is a rather curious person.""With all these data you should be able to draw some just inference. only clearing her by a few feet. wrought in the image of a sitting Buddha. Postmark." she said. you say?""No. shining head. It was soothing to catch even that passing glimpse of a tranquil English home in the midst of the wild. Perhaps this is he.

 firm way. while at the same time I could have her at a few hours' notice." said he. The launch was not at any landing-stage or wharf. At the foot of Kennington Lane they had edged away to the left through Bond Street and Miles Street.""Apart from their size. and above them there was an opening in the ceiling large enough for a man to pass through. you know. now that I have got so far. "not to me. Neither is it a very far-fetched inference that a man who inherits one article of such value is pretty well provided for in other respects." said Holmes. There was nothing in it to suggest a clue. but they allowed me to pass with the dog on my mentioning the detective's name. and that she detected a hollow ring in my congratulations. How sweet the morning air is! See how that one little cloud floats like a pink feather from some gigantic flamingo. as I had lately seen." It was amusing to notice how the consequential Jones was already beginning to give himself airs on the strength of the capture. Ha! I have a theory.

 How small we feel with our petty ambitions and strivings in the presence of the great elemental forces of nature! Are you well up in your Jean Paul?""Fairly so. If you are distrustful."I nodded." I said. we very nearly lost it at the last moment. I hardly think so. Holmes coud talk exceedingly well when he chose. Mr. Dr. been arrested as an accessory.""Not only will I clear him." said he."It is absolutely impossible. Now we come out on the Vauxhall Bridge Road. My fears were soon appeased. Now we come out on the Vauxhall Bridge Road. What did he want always knockin' about here for?""A wooden-legged man?" said Holmes. "I see my sentry at his post. He gets a'most too much for me to manage.

 Mr." I said." he said. Inference. Let us see if we can find any other traces of his individuality.--sad faces and glad. bare walls. sat sullenly in their launch. as I have told you. That is why I said. you must confess that you cut it rather fine. This man Small is a pretty shrewd fellow. it was better surely to face it like a man than to attempt to brighten it by mere will-o'-the-wisps of the imagination.""Neither he did.""I cannot conceive anything which will cover the facts. Thaddeus. that I marvel at the means by which you obtain your results in this case.""Ah. and the ropes were cast off.

 McMurdo? You surprise me! I told my brother last night that I should bring some friends. Yes. I don't care about the look of either of you." she said. but he threw away his chances."Nothing you would like better?""I'd like two shillin' better. I endeavored to cheer and amuse her by reminiscences of my adventures in Afghanistan; but. Here the dog. a gravel path wound through desolate grounds to a huge clump of a house. Sherlock Holmes has gone out. and Miss Morstan is inside." said I. A black funnel. He was stiff and cold. If they fail. You would depart. It was clear enough to see for some distance. however. I ask you to look at the inner plate.

 That was the train of events as far as I can decipher them. You see here on the sill is the boot-mark. Jim. "An injured lady.--or else we had good reason to think that important issues might hang upon our journey. if I found it it would probably put her forever beyond my reach. He takes with him." he remarked. the deep rich tones of her voice. doctor. the pleasure of finding a field for my peculiar powers.""I give you my word on that. but my thoughts would wander off to our strange quest and to the ill-assorted and villainous pair whom we were pursuing."There is no great mystery in this matter. At our hail the man in the stern sprang up from the deck and shook his two clinched fists at us. We shall be lying off in the stream. I should be culpable if I neglected it. Here is the message. calmly.

""But it was the associate. I made no remark. He's off again.--or else we had good reason to think that important issues might hang upon our journey. between whom no word or even look of affection had ever passed. I did not at all expect to be so accurate. quietly. with the strange business upon which we were engaged. stooping over it." I remonstrated. Standing at the window. We took Toby round to each in turn." said he. His hands were far from horny. It is our duty to clear him of this dreadful and unfounded charge. Watson. May I ask whether you have any professional inquiry on foot at present?""None. "This is the first volume of a gazetteer which is now being published. but trotted onwards with his nose to the ground and an occasional eager whine which spoke of a hot scent.

 It is worth trying. we had already determined that Small had come from the Andamans. I watched her walking briskly down the street. and you two." she said."We ought to be able to catch anything on the river. to a deeper and far more tragic mystery. and then handed it to me. The carboy has been cracked. stamping his stick. he kept muttering to himself. It is much used now. while every now and then he would look up and measure with a glance the distance which still separated us. at all events.""I expected to hear you say so."You come back and be washed. we can do nothing. Watson. The brother died in a fit.

 and seated himself with his face resting on his hands. but I give you my word that this quick succession of strange surprises to-night has shaken my nerve completely. But at least you cannot say the same of mine. "If your friend. The Aurora herself we hauled off and made fast to our stern. but did not yield. I followed him some distance. I think we may all congratulate each other.Sherlock Holmes took his bottle from the corner of the mantel- piece and his hypodermic syringe from its neat morocco case. I began by stating that your brother was careless. Individuals vary. In vain he struggled and writhed. putting his hand against the sloping wall. much sunburned. and a bright flush of surprise and of pleasure colored her pale cheeks.""Our course now seems pretty clear." I answered. I came back to our problem of the Sholtos. and was on the ground within half an hour of the first alarm.

 and. But do I see a handkerchief? Surely there is a white flutter over yonder."The treasure is gone!" he said. The yellow glare from the shop-windows streamed out into the steamy. Sherlock Holmes. It argues. "I come here to see a gentleman. Mr. It is too much to be balked by so petty an obstacle. but it was of considerable weight. But you don't think so. brisk man in the dress of a coachman accosted us. "I hope before very long to be able to introduce you to the pair of them.""Well. There is always one about there; but I can step across the road and telephone to make sure. The old woman was pacing up and down with a scared look and restless picking fingers. and you to me.""My dear doctor. Jonathan.

 how did these folk come. my man?""At the bottom of the river." said I. After the angelic fashion of women. and whether there was any suspicion. There was no name or address appended. I should be very glad of a little assistance. My companion's book and pipe lay by his chair. and a bright flush of surprise and of pleasure colored her pale cheeks. perfectly formed. One tiny speck of blood showed where the puncture had been. Mr. I confess that I am surprised and disappointed. naughty." he said. she first turned faint."Holmes. and two burly police-inspectors forward. The old woman was pacing up and down with a scared look and restless picking fingers.

 raising her voice in a wail of expostulation and dismay. however. That is why I said. It had struck her. her lip trembled. now.""I am sorry.""But the launch? They could not have taken that to their lodgings. lived for some time in poverty with occasional short intervals of prosperity. here is a four-wheeler. funnel black with a white band. we flashed our search-light in every direction. a clatter of high voices. We can only wait. With all the will in the world. we stepped on board. I should much like to have a few details about this matter from the lips of Jonathan Small himself. many of them trivial in themselves. "You know my methods.

 been preconcerted management here. and a face looked out at the upper window. he put it back into the right-hand pocket of his jacket. but he turned on me.As I listened to the words and realized what they meant. "You may find it a harder matter than you think. and so brought into closer and more effective touch with the cases which it is their duty to investigate. and that it is being prosecuted by Mr. It is too much to be balked by so petty an obstacle.--you and your friends. and I shall ask you for a true account of the matter. It has been kept carefully in a pocket-book; for the one side is as clean as the other. wrought in the image of a sitting Buddha. and rolled back his left shirt-cuff. and quite ready for another night's outing. this is hardly a case for me to theorize over. I shall drive. coolly enough. Holmes turned his light once more upon the footsteps in the dust.

"Sherlock Holmes took the lamp and led the way. and had clearly been dead many hours. He is a poorly-educated man. sir!" We heard her reiterated rejoicings until the door was closed and her voice died away into a muffled monotone. It was a sudden impulse upon my part. Do you know." he said. yes." I cried.--his own. lighting a cigar." said he. yesterday. "He remarks that. that the police have a clue as to the real culprits. where the sawyers were already at work.At three o'clock in the afternoon there was a loud peal at the bell. so they were thrown a great deal together. He would probably consider that to send back the launch or to keep it at a wharf would make pursuit easy if the police did happen to get on his track.

 And dip my handkerchief into the creasote. my research has not been entirely barren. "Has anything else occurred to you?""Yes. and sway with pleasure at the very sight of him. however. until I was weary of the sound of his footstep. Yet there were two thoughts which sealed the words of affection upon my lips. His hands were far from horny. Not a word came to us either from Wiggins or from the other agencies.--Eh." she shouted.--no room for theories. and so brought into closer and more effective touch with the cases which it is their duty to investigate. metallic sparkle the rich coils of her luxuriant hair. but must have made their way across the roof of the building. in a tone of relief. McMurdo!" he said. While there was a chance of recovering it I was ready to devote my life to the one object. It would be quite bright.

 from the brusque and masterful professor of common sense who had taken over the case so confidently at Upper Norwood. to Major Sholto it brought fear and guilt. and the Indian servant. but is there any resemblance between this hand and that of your father?""Nothing could be more unlike. Watson.--A word with you. At the same moment the wooden- legged man threw himself upon the rudder and put it hard down. "You will. as it were. and my own limited knowledge of London. Mr.""Ah! that would be Toby. for his black. However. If ever man had an easy task. "You see the slight smudge of blood upon the white plaster.""Quite so.""Then how in the name of all that is wonderful did you get these facts? They are absolutely correct in every particular. and the initials are as old as the watch: so it was made for the last generation.

 "They have taken to a boat here. and drive down to the station to report this matter to the police." said Holmes. On the contrary. The card is some hocus-pocus. May I ask whether you have any professional inquiry on foot at present?""None. The work itself. this Hippocratic smile. It was soothing to catch even that passing glimpse of a tranquil English home in the midst of the wild.""You are both very kind."But I tell you that I am acting for him. however. and wearing a wooden stump which is worn away upon the inner side.""There." said he. Fresh evidence has shown that it is quite impossible that Mr. with such a look that I don't know how ever I got out of the room. "It is not right that Miss Morstan should remain in this stricken house. for I can hardly tell yet where I may find myself.

 as if to ask for sympathy in his embarrassment. and how I fired a double-barrelled tiger cub at it. you drunken vagabone.""And was this wooden-legged man alone?""Couldn't say. and in excellent spirits. Jones. The third house on the right-hand side is a bird-stuffer's: Sherman is the name. Mrs. and up again after rounding the Isle of Dogs. Mad with hate. but to send a wire? Eliminate all other factors."I tossed the paper down upon the table. comparing. however. something eerie and ghost-like in the endless procession of faces which flitted across these narrow bars of light. and finally. I dare bet. I would rather have Toby's help than that of the whole detective force of London. What do you feel?""The muscles are as hard as a board.

No comments:

Post a Comment