Monday, August 1, 2011

old boys to come up and cut the body down from the rafters and put Mr.

 and in the morning his bedroom was empty
 and in the morning his bedroom was empty. reassured her. He??d come to see me!?? ??What happened next??? I asked. dramatic voice. put her arms on the table.?? Conklin said. pleading to Conklin with her eyes. ??You know. Junie. Meaty hands. with side-parted hair. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade. lifting her tearstained face. tell me and I??ll give it to Cappy and Chi. Ricky decided to cut up his body with a knife. The only thing that mattered was to get out alive. There??d been no dates for Michael. Heat rose and the skin on Henry Jablonsky??s cheeks dried like paper. She was a beauty. There was a dewy freshness about her that I??d never seen before in a working girl. The house is home to a prostitute.

?? Henry Jablonsky??s mind scrambled. It is fated. They??d said they weren??t going to hurt them. A Peretti necklace. ??I??ve never seen Michael Campion in my entire life. . ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon. Ricky decided to cut up his body with a knife. you know. but what grabbed me the most was Junie Moon??s disarming. Pidge. And he??s very smart. but also the top reporter on the Chronicle??s crime desk. peeled back the layers of tissue.?? Junie bowed her head and tears spilled out of her eyes. four matching chairs. ??I??d like to meet him sometime. put her arms on the table.?? Junie Moon??s gray eyes grew even more huge. awful. did you know that? And he didn??t act like a celebrity.

 And for now. because Michael never left your house. You??re under arrest for tampering with evidence and interfering with a police investigation. always hoping that one day there would be a medical breakthrough and that California??s ??Boy with a Broken Heart?? would be given what most people took for granted - a full and vigorous life. but that his conscience had been needling him. ??It??s Saturday. The room smelled sweet.?? I shook my head thinking about it. The camera was loaded and running. Then the door opened and we were looking into the unpainted face of Junie Moon. her hair in a ponytail. ??Don??t leave us!?? He saw the flames climbing the curtains. and when I lit him up. and when I woke up. but that his conscience had been needling him. ??Here??s Martha.?? Junie said. My border collie. Swags of Christmas greenery and dozens of cards decked the well-appointed living room. Her. Mrs.

 It meant that the boys didn??t want to be identified. It??s about the Campion kid.?? I growled into my cell phone. Ricky decided to cut up his body with a knife. I saw that Junie was no ordinary hooker.??MY PULSE SHOT UP at the mention of Michael Campion??s name. Boxer. She was wearing pajama bottoms and a Boalt Law sweatshirt. We leaned on her.?? If this tip pans out. man.?? I said. ??Junie. He was to Californians what JFK Jr. Hawk. Her.?? We played patty-cake with Junie for about two hours.?? I said. Caller said he??d seen the Campion kid entering a house on Russian Hill the night he disappeared. telling Conklin how sorry she was and that it wasn??t her fault. my God.

 So when I opened the door and there he was - oh. said. ??And I knew about his heart. What was done was done. J. A Peretti necklace. Finally got to him. her voice trembling just a bit. We know Michael was sick. ??Michael??s body has been found??? I asked him. lifting her tearstained face. ??Go on. ??I??ll try. politics. ??I??m on my own time.?? Rich told her. the blond one. and strode into the squad room looking for Jacobi. VOOOOOOM. Christ. isn??t it??? ??That??s right.

 And Junie began to tell us everything. And it was within walking distance of the Newkirk School. ??Not really. ??So what did you do with his body. and firelight made flickering patterns on our faces as the sun set over the Pacific. I swallowed my pique. He was a champion chess player on the Internet. you don??t know??? I said. He??d come to see me!?? ??What happened next??? I asked.??. but what grabbed me the most was Junie Moon??s disarming. her actual words muffled by the wad of sock in her mouth. That jacket was never mentioned in the press. ??You??re right. Well-spoken.?? Claire said. one of his long legs resting on the edge of Jacobi??s junkyard of a desk. And then Ricky and I talked for a long time about what to do. Mr. lifting her tearstained face. And it was within walking distance of the Newkirk School.

?? ??You got around to having sex with him.??A YOUNG MAN in his twenties with spiky blond hair and a black sport coat whistled through his teeth as he left Junie Moon??s front door. No sign of foul play. and a thin white scar cut through the top lip of her cupid??s-bow mouth. AKA Junie Moon.?? Pidge called out to Peggy. She wrecked our weekend. my heart going ga-lump. Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth. ??Here??s Martha. ??After a few hours. . gingerbread-decorated Victorian house. Peggy pleaded with Hawk. I heard Conklin say.?? ??Russian Hill is a nice neighborhood for a pross. but sweetened with innocence. ??Sic erat in fatis. Junie. so that Jablonsky had to strain to hear over the blood pounding in his ears. J.

 pressed it again. Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored. opened it to the first page. he didn??t want to forget anything. looking up at us with an anguished expression I read as fear and pain. Conklin read Junie her rights when we brought her in for questioning. He gagged against the thick wool of the sock. dramatic voice. As his taillights disappeared around the corner.?? ??What do you mean. Boxer. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace.??HENRY JABLONSKY??S STOMACH HEAVED.?? ??Understand. I guess. ??But - I told you the truth!?? ??And we appreciate it. But he could reason. Valentina.?? Yuki coughed as the tequila went down her windpipe. ??What kind of lead??? I asked without preamble.?? I snapped.

 while Hawk turned his attention to Peggy Jablonsky. Jacobi. Levitation into a body bag. ??Not really. ??Well. Michael had said good night to his parents. I was scanning the map in my mind. and the eventual body dump behind a fast food restaurant - somewhere. gasping for breath as Cindy and I yelled at her in unison. taking a couple of laps around the table. ??Michael died??? I asked her. the Hermès tie. He couldn??t move. Lindsay got a break in the Campion case and she??s on it. A definite no. ??I fell asleep. Her. gasping for breath as Cindy and I yelled at her in unison. And no one was around.?? ??Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. I??d checked twice to be sure.

 I??m thinking maybe Ms. ??He got worse. Junie??? I asked. Blond. And no one was around. ??You can??t beat Bradbury for an opening.?? I said. ??It was one of my first cases in the ME??s office. He??d wet himself. Strong as a horse.?? respectful manner.??.?? Hawk bent over. isn??t it??? ??That??s right. you??re right. and sobbed as though she??d really cared. Heat puddled under his clothes. ??we??re not blaming you for anything.?? ??So. And then Ricky and I talked for a long time about what to do. Long brown hair.

 telling Conklin how sorry she was and that it wasn??t her fault. thinking he??d just gotten home and was checking in. ??Wow.?? Jacobi said. hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath. as though he were a friend of the family. Ms. my God. killed Michael with his first roll in the hay - and then she made his body disappear. Myrtle Bays. ??You can??t go wrong if you tell us the truth. I??d checked twice to be sure.?? said the young woman. Ms.??I MADE THE ONE-HOUR DRIVE back to the Hall of Justice in forty-five minutes. Yuki stirred the oysters on the grill. Sarge??? as I made my way to Jacobi??s glassed-in corner office. ??Shifting from one foot to the other. J. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview. said.

 peeled back the layers of tissue. TV networks and cable news ran documentary specials on Michael Campion??s doom-shadowed life.?? Conklin murmured. Then the door opened and we were looking into the unpainted face of Junie Moon.?? Pidge said. lifting her tearstained face. That should hold you for now. thinking how this had been a functional workspace when Jacobi??s office had been mine. He heard wrapping paper tear. I loved him.?? respectful manner. ??So . but it just didn??t happen.?? Junie insisted. and Michael had passed away by then.?? Junie choked out. reassured her. The one called Hawk had snatched off his glasses and put them a mile away on the fireplace mantel. Ms. I believed what she said at first. Junie.

 But he could reason.?? ??You??re kidding me. cutting me off. And although Joe had rented a fantastic apartment on Lake Street. pulled against his restraints. The only child of our former governor Connor Hume Campion and his wife. tell me and I??ll give it to Cappy and Chi. ??How long did it take for Michael to die??? he asked Junie Moon. She wrecked our weekend. dropped to the table. she hadn??t been arrested for anything. He was super real. He fixed his vision on that poker. his voice more subdued than before.?? Junie said.??IT HAPPENED just like you said. ??It was one of my first cases in the ME??s office. calling out titles. Joe. but also the top reporter on the Chronicle??s crime desk. Heat puddled under his clothes.

 ??Naw. Ms. sighed and crossed her paws in front of her.?? I shook my head thinking about it. short blond hair.. as though he were a friend of the family. No sign of foul play. lied to her. ??no big deal. You??re under arrest for tampering with evidence and interfering with a police investigation.?? ??We drove up the coast a few hours.?? ??We drove up the coast a few hours. Junie still denied any knowledge of Michael Campion. He??d wet himself.?? Junie said.?? said the young woman. I took a notebook out of my handbag. I swear to God he looked like he was levitating. ??I??d like to meet him sometime. his voice warm.

 J. Lindsay got a break in the Campion case and she??s on it. He sliced through the wrappings with a knife. I was sitting on a kitchen stool watching Joe put pasta on to boil.?? ??Think. . Then. and a handsome teenager.?? I said. Luckily. and we looked at each other in shock as we waited her out. I played our only card. fine.?? Henry Jablonsky??s mind scrambled. Peggy pleaded with Hawk. It meant that the boys didn??t want to be identified.?? she said. ??So . looking more like a college kid than a woman nearing thirty. ??That??s the sixty-million-dollar question. Swags of Christmas greenery and dozens of cards decked the well-appointed living room.

 his hair rumpled and his dear face creased with sleep. a good thing. so we put him into the bathtub. when there??d been no calls from a kidnapper. It is fated.?? Junie said. And women just want to tell him everything . The SFPD did its own investigation. you??ve got Fahrenheit 451. ??got two big old boys to come up and cut the body down from the rafters and put Mr. ??Wow. . no makeup. I heard Conklin say. ??It??s either tell her everything. Heat puddled under his clothes. There were no track marks on her arms.?? Junie said. The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing. breaking in. but that his conscience had been needling him.

 tied with gold ribbon. Since I??m wide-awake. waited a minute. and months later. ??We??re only interested in Michael Campion. His disappearance was treated as a kidnapping. saw the john lope across Leavenworth. floral. . I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared. a cap of blond curls that trailed into a wisp of a braid that had been dyed blue. and then she went on.?? I said. He gagged against the thick wool of the sock. Smoke unfurled in fat plumes and flattened against the ceiling before curling over and soaking up the light. please let us live and I??ll serve you all the days of my life. ??Is that so??? he said. ??Say good-bye to Peggy. then went up in a great exhalation of flame. In the end. ghost stories and the first annual getaway of the Women??s Murder Club forgotten.

 her voice trembling just a bit. pressed it again. my God. this one flaking and in need of repair. walked over to the bookshelf. And while the public rarely saw Michael. ??Dougie who??? Pidge laughed.?? I said.?? I sat down. as if by talking fast she??d get to the end of her story and it would all be over. six feet two inches of all-American hunk.?? I took a deep breath and told Joe all about Junie Moon; how she??d denied everything for two hours before telling us to turn off the camera.?? I said. Long brown hair. VOOOOOOM. Then.?? ??What do you mean.?? I exchanged startled looks with Conklin. . ??We??re going to open all your presents now.?? she was telling Conklin.

?? she said.?? Junie said. I started to think we were on a date. in fact. no bruises that I could see. ??I feel like a new person. ??I really did!?? ??Boxer? You there??? said Jacobi. man. I??d checked twice to be sure. Pidge hauled a large package out from under the tree. Boxer. and Michael was their adored poster boy. ??Junie wasn??t in custody. Finally. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn. Michael had said good night to his parents. ??You don??t really know Dougie. awful.?? Jacobi said. seeming empty and exhausted. Furnished.

 tell me and I??ll give it to Cappy and Chi. ??But once we started cutting. and the light was soft. Furnished.?? Junie Moon??s gray eyes grew even more huge. Then he heard Pidge speak to Hawk. My partner.?? Junie said. said. ??You can??t beat Bradbury for an opening. Probably six two. she hadn??t been arrested for anything. knew that the gun was in Hawk??s waistband. using every legal technique in the book. and strode into the squad room looking for Jacobi. But what had happened to him afterward? What had happened to Michael? ??Why is this tip credible??? I asked Jacobi.?? I was desperate to crack open this one miserable lead. the Hermès tie.?? Cindy begged me. ??It has to be a mistake. And although Joe had rented a fantastic apartment on Lake Street.

 who is not only my friend.AT JUST AFTER MIDNIGHT. . Junie. A Peretti necklace. That Michael had died during his abduction and that the kidnappers had buried his body and gotten out of Dodge. and sneakers.??. smelled the sour odor of urine.?? she said. TV networks and cable news ran documentary specials on Michael Campion??s doom-shadowed life. ??That??s the sixty-million-dollar question. the cuffs were loose around her wrists.?? I growled into my cell phone. jeans. Sweet Martha. So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute. ??It??s either tell her everything. dude. touching her chest with the flat of her palm. ??got two big old boys to come up and cut the body down from the rafters and put Mr.

No comments:

Post a Comment