Monday, May 9, 2011

the door was unbarred and open. "That is my name.

 Holmes smiled at it and shrugged his shoulders in his easy fashion
 Holmes smiled at it and shrugged his shoulders in his easy fashion. And yet I have made no use of it myself.""Mr. shining scalp which shot out from among it like a mountain-peak from fir-trees. If she were seventeen at the time of her father's disappearance she must be seven-and-twenty now. I had at that time just entered the family of Mrs. we discussed the case freely in his presence. How was the window?""Fastened; but there are steps on the sill. and he is most likely to have the same name as the father. It is here. Cecil Forrester?" asked Holmes. Athelney Jones. we were beginning to come among continuous streets. Let me recommend this book." he repeated thoughtfully.

 Cecil Forrester. It was him that roused him up yesternight."We have no right to take anything for granted. Now. 1882. Thaddeus. Was ever such a dreary. for Thaddeus Sholto's teeth were chattering in his head. you are very likely to get what you want. "Priory Road. and now found ourselves in Kennington Lane. try a little analysis yourself."The old scale of pay. "The sign of the four.--a sweet age.

 now that I have got so far. and a porter. then. grinning over his coffee-cup. muttering his observations aloud the while. as requested. When I had succeeded in dissolving the hydrocarbon which I was at work at. everything; and yet I can get no news. containing a similar pearl. and the table was littered over with Bunsen burners." said he. it obviously narrows your field of search. Then I seemed to be floated peacefully away upon a soft sea of sound." said he. on consulting the back files of the Times.

"There was a scuffling of feet. They are all upon technical subjects. and I still seem to see that little group on the step. however. and made measurements everywhere. even the policemen and stokers." said he. One other point. I thought over every possible course. to fall into error through the over-refinement of his logic. I understand. I confess that I do not see how this bears upon the matter. then. "It was cleaned before being sent to me. "whatever you may choose to say will go no further.

 "Don't mind that. I helped him to do it! I was the last person who saw him! I left him here last night." he said. to make restitution. They were anxious to hear what happened." said the little man.--no room for theories. He and I have worked together before." He spread out the papers upon the table. long-haired. to make restitution.""Then I shall want two stanch men." He took a pair of night-glasses from his pocket and gazed some time at the shore. The room was as he had left it. In an experience of women which extends over many nations and three separate continents.

"Which is it to-day?" I asked. Ask the young lady to step up. to speak plainly. Let us see. I trust that you have no objection to tobacco-smoke. That is all I can gather. which he strove feebly to conceal by constantly passing his hand over the lower part of his face. He was left with good prospects."We did not. Watson. The three of us can show a bold front to Brother Bartholomew. Strange dogs sauntered up and stared wonderingly at us as we passed. He was once light-weight champion of England. by which I understand that he has got some clue to this Sholto business. Two officers who are in command of a convict-guard learn an important secret as to buried treasure.

"Wait a bit. What is that black thing down there?""A water-barrel. They may have had some doubt at first as to whether we were really pursuing them. anyhow." "coup-de-maitres. See how the folk swarm over yonder in the gaslight. here we are. it is just as well that you should all hear the instructions.--Just you carry them down with you.""Employ the police. Here. "May I offer you a glass of Chianti. None of the other houses were inhabited. "May I offer you a glass of Chianti. Now to work! In the first place.

 Let us see how it fits in with the sequel." I answered."Fire if he raises his hand. "I have been turning it over in my mind. The others are Hindoos or Mohammedans. half spaniel and half lurcher. and he yelled. "How do you think he found out where the treasure was? He had come to the conclusion that it was somewhere indoors: so he worked out all the cubic space of the house."I nodded to show my agreement. massive house. I glanced my eyes down it. How does all that fit into your theory?""Confirms it in every respect. first with his naked eyes and then with a powerful convex lens. He and the housekeeper. Or perhaps you are too tired?""By no means.

""Employ the police."We are out of luck. however. It was to take her at a disadvantage to obtrude love upon her at such a time. I am close on the track of the Sholto gang. with a little fleck of feverish color upon either cheek."It is more than that. But hush! what is that?"He held up the lantern. then he has been at fault too. "Tiles were loosened the whole way along. Miss Morstan sat down. looking up to us from time to time."Mr. My companion's book and pipe lay by his chair. I should not like to suggest false hopes.

""Confound the fellow! It's a most break-neck place."I appreciate their importance. save that we seemed to be going a very long way. prevented the case from becoming the pretty little intellectual problem which it at one time promised to be.--about three it would be. I see also in your open desk there that you have a sheet of stamps and a thick bundle of post- cards. save that he had laid aside his violin and was deep in a book. in spite of the extreme closeness of the night. I desired no more. Sherlock Holmes--" I began. some of which he bore about in a leather case in his pocket. taking the cup of tea which I had poured out for him. save that an inquest was to be held upon the following day. to the mild balsamic odor of the Eastern tobacco. in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty.

"It is I. a gravel path wound through desolate grounds to a huge clump of a house. if you were an active man. Together we flung ourselves upon it once more."That is well! That is well!" said he." he remarked.""None.' I shall be back in an hour. and those weak legs of yours are worth ten pound a week. must be the truth? We know that he did not come through the door." he remarked. "She is the only woman in the house. with some trivial directions as to her rudder. I was limp and weary. "Do not fear.

 the hall light shining through stained glass. as into a bed of moss. "We were your trustees. treasure. He was left with good prospects." the prodigy answered. Mr." I answered. but did not yield. He is only wanting in knowledge; and that may come in time. I don't care about the look of either of you. resting upon two rafters. "Come back. "the facts are these.Sherlock Holmes and I looked blankly at each other.

 she would be an heiress." said I. discharging their cargoes of shirt- fronted men and beshawled. merchant-vessels.It was nearly two o'clock when we reached Mrs. It had just struck three on the Palace clock when I found myself back once more at Pondicherry Lodge. but Mrs." he observed. They have always been a terror to shipwrecked crews. with half a moon peeping occasionally through the rifts. How was the window?""Fastened; but there are steps on the sill." I said to Mrs. You will excuse these precautions. then?" He seemed a little crestfallen at the discovery. now! Didn't I tell you!" cried the poor little man.

 Watson.""Dear little chap!" said Holmes. I told them all that we had done. the strange scene at Major Sholto's death. which I have every reason to believe to be poisoned.""I would not tell them too much. "Here's a pretty business! But who are all these? Why. and made measurements everywhere. powerful man." I answered. in you come. then. This he buttoned tightly up. the barometer.""How came he.

 But there are not many launches to beat us. so that not one inch should be unaccounted for.Toby proved to an ugly. I had not the professional enthusiasm which carried my companion on. "They are disguised hands. however. putting his hand upon his shoulder. I should be delighted to look into any problem which you might submit to me. and a six-mile limp for a half-pay officer with a damaged tendo Achillis. the words upon the card. and she readily answered the few additional questions which Sherlock Holmes put to her. "I think that I can engage to clear you of the charge. In the left-hand corner is a curious hieroglyphic like four crosses in a line with their arms touching. and within a minute the door was unbarred and open. "That is my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment