Tuesday, May 10, 2011

with infantry in them. Then I forgot about him.

 This was a joke
 This was a joke.Youre an orator. Or shot through the shoulder.Because the captain doctor knew I had this rupture. close behind the lines. Where have you beenIve been out on post. I said. Then there was one that we did not hear coming until the sudden rush. father. I did not care what I was getting into. The road was screened because it was in sight of the Austrians across the river.If it wasnt that that happens to their families nobody would go to the attack.

 There are a few real wounded. Evviva lesercito.They wont crack here. My friend saw the priest from our mess going by in the street. Im Scotch.Be good while Im gone. He sat down beside me. How does that feelSweat ran all over me. Rocca said. Why did you join up with the ItaliansI was in Italy. he himself so small that you could not see his face but only the top of his cap and his narrow back.He held a forceps with some gauze in the end.

 I was cold and my leg hurt so that it made me sick. They returned it with his things. It is with them the war is made. Inside they were operating on all the tables. He had to sign the proposition for the citation. Then in Italian: Lift him very carefully about the legs. holding below the target and trying to master the jerk of the ridiculous short barrel until I could hit within a yard of where I aimed at twenty paces and then the ridiculousness of carrying a pistol at all came over me and I soon forgot it and carried it flopping against the small of my back with no feeling at all except a vague sort of shame when I met Englishspeaking people. The major said he had heard a report that I could drink. loosely packed cigarettes that spilled tobacco and needed to have the ends twisted before you smoked them. baby. They sat down and waited.You were sweet to tell me.

 Sometimes I think you and he are a little that way.How are you.It is a filthy and vile book. It would be the same when the offensive started.That was a big trench mortar.Goodnight. the line of the river that separated the two armies.The Italians didnt want women so near the front. Then he was quiet. He opened his trunk and took out a bottle. Manera said.I pressed her hand.

 It ought to be good. Youre a very good boy. if the war should end. Tell me really what was the best.You were sweet to tell me. tannic and lovely. out of the bandages. Tenente. went to the jail and asked to see the priest. and I stood outside his cell and I said as though I were going to confession.When I got back to the villa it was five oclock and I went out where we washed the cars. If you must have a priest have that priest.

 This was better than going every evening to the house for officers where the girls climbed all over you and put your cap on backward as a sign of affection between their trips upstairs with brother officers. A little that way like the number of the first regiment of the Brigata Ancona.We sat on the flat stone bench and I held Catherine Barkleys hand. I went out swiftly.You are sweet. The ovens and some deep holes had been equipped as dressing stations. clear red. I thought perhaps he couldnt stand it and then of course he was killed and that was the end of it. Gordini stood behind me. We are brothers and we love each other.Whats the trouble the war. All alone at the war with no new girls.

 and the argument went on.Yes. Now the fighting was in the next mountains beyond and was not a mile away. I said. Everybody is proud of you. I said.All thinking men are atheists. I watched them settle on the ceiling. To the silver medal. Miss Barkley said. His legs were toward me and I saw in the dark and the light that they were both smashed above the knee. it seemed.

 Anybody may crack. Some one took hold of me under the arms and somebody else lifted my legs. Outside the window it was a lovely spring morning. father. Maria. Signor Tenente. They lined them up afterward and took every tenth man.Who goes to the attack asked Gavuzzi. How is your headGood Christ I said.They have big Skoda guns. I knew I did not love Catherine Barkley nor had any idea of loving her. He did not hear me.

 would you he asked.Yes there is. I dont mind at all. There was more to it than that. All alone at the war with no new girls.That is not good. I love you too much. then choking. But the little Scotch one is very nice.You were quite right. She waved and I kissed my hand and held it out. This captain baited him often.

 Where have you beenCalling on the British. It would not rip and I bit the edge of the cloth to start it.The priest was young and blushed easily and wore a uniform like the rest of us but with a cross in dark red velvet above the left breast pocket of his gray tunic. Then I floated.We wont quarrel. and stopped at the main dressing station.If I go back theyll make me get operated on and then theyll put me in the line all the time.Can Gordini driveI dont think so. Tell me. Ive seen you about.If I go back theyll make me get operated on and then theyll put me in the line all the time.Why dont you ride with the transport I asked.

 But the little Scotch one is very nice. Your blood coagulates beautifully. Manera lit his lighter and passed it around. It ought to be good. cartridges. the shellmarked iron of the railway bridge. That should handle them. I said. I had it in the car. That is why we have this war.Im English. I went on home.

 crossing out everything except.Arent you a nurseOh. green and dark to the snow line and then white and lovely in the sun. I came back the next afternoon from our first mountain post and stopped the car at the smistimento where the wounded and sick were sorted by their papers and the papers marked for the different hospitals.I went out to look at the cars and see what was going on and then came back and sat down in the dugout with the four drivers. isnt there I was brought up to think there was.I would like to go with you and show you things. Rocca said.Arent you a nurseOh. I had on wool stockings but Passini wore puttees. Rocca said. jaundice.

Yes. a few freshly washed. cheekfitted. and went in under the shed and looked at each of the cars. He had not felt bad but now the shoulder had stiffened. It is a disgrace that they should stay so long that they become friends. Tenente Can I help in any way He was the quietest one of the four. Always with the girls. The others listened. We work very hard but no one trusts us.Start in to eat.Captain doctor (interested in something he was finding).

Oh.They have big Skoda guns. In the morning they came to each bed in turn. Stop it.That was because it was first.Do you like itVery much.The priest smiled. Passini was quiet now. I would like to eat at the Cova and then walk down the Via Manzoni in the hot evening and cross over and turn off along the canal and go to the hotel with Catherine Barkley. Oh oh oh oh. The road here was below the level of the river bank and all along the side of the sunken road there were holes dug in the bank with infantry in them. Then I forgot about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment