Tuesday, May 10, 2011

the man under the arms and by the legs and brought him in.

 and instead of going on I felt myself slide back
 and instead of going on I felt myself slide back. darling. The captain spoke pidgin Italian for my doubtful benefit. I thought somebody was screaming. Passini said.Look. His breath went away. she said. unloaded them and went away. said the priest. The road curved and we saw the three cars looking quite small.Because the captain doctor knew I had this rupture.

 I said. isnt there I was brought up to think there was. You get out and fall down by the road and get a bump on your head and Ill pick you up on our way back and take you to a hospital. and really you are just like me underneath.They tell me youve lost two drivers.You are sweet. We work very hard but no one trusts us.Sit down.You have beautiful hair. I just tell you. Miss Barkley was in the garden.Of a whatHe explained.

We looked at Rinaldi talking with the other nurse. Signor Tenente. Tenente. Nothing. The posts for the cars would have to be as near the river as they could get and keep covered.He stood up and put on his gloves.The driver came out of the door with the papers for the wounded in the car.Oh. One thing after another. you have come back. The trunks of the trees too were dusty and the leaves fell early that year and we saw the troops marching along the road and the dust rising and leaves. looking out at the snow falling slowly and heavily.

 and well see.How did you happen to do that Why didnt you join up with usI dont know. There was a great splashing and I saw the star shells go up and burst and float whitely and rockets going up and heard the bombs.Whats the trouble the war.Ive come back to Catherine in the night.The next afternoon we heard there was to be an attack up the river that night and that we were to take four cars there.Come on. sototenente (the thumb). Passini was quiet now. You would like the people and though it is cold it is clear and dry. There were many strong smells. I would take you and never hurt you.

Lets drop it anyway.. Its in the bulletin.I took out my knife. He bent over me. Were you on permissionYes. I said. It was there that the offensive was to begin. The frescoes were not bad. Gordini stood behind me.A new wide road was being finished that would go over the mountain and zigzag down to the bridge. father.

 How is your headGood Christ I said.They have big Skoda guns.In Milano. Goodby.Saint Anthony asked the driver. Not in the auto ambulance.And youre all right I asked outside.Theyll send you to a hospital. The British hospital was a big villa built by Germans before the war. The outlines of the cypresses that lined it were sharp and clear. I went out swiftly. I practised with it.

 I wore one when we went up to the posts and carried an English gas mask. They were silent until I went out. I said. baby. Her hand had hit my nose and eyes. I felt it against the back of the chair. there was the smell of marble floors and hospital.A rivederla. They lined them up afterward and took every tenth man. I wiped my hand on my shirt and another floating light came very slowly down and I looked at my leg and was very afraid. I know all about it now. He said there was so much dirt blown into the wound that there had not been much hemorrhage.

 Miss Barkley was quite tall. I said. on the street. It is protected by the little hill.Did they cross the river all rightEnormously. although I learned it later. darling. There were big guns too that passed in the day drawn by tractors. Now they try to forget it.Better not drink too much brandy then. no.That priest.

Oh. Were you on permissionYes. Rinaldi put away the bottle and we went down the stairs. loosely packed cigarettes that spilled tobacco and needed to have the ends twisted before you smoked them.I wish you were back. I said.Here. As soon as I get the papers on these wounded Ill take you along the road and drop you with your medical officers. and a roar that started white and went red and on and on in a rushing wind. I tried again and my legs moved a little. bound in leather. Ill go and see him and ask if he will recommend you.

 The trunks of the trees too were dusty and the leaves fell early that year and we saw the troops marching along the road and the dust rising and leaves. come. Youre a very good boy.I sat in the reception hail of the villa.Carabinieri. New girls never been to the front before.Ill just step out the door a minute. father. The posts for the cars would have to be as near the river as they could get and keep covered.I see.You are crazy. It would be the same when the offensive started.

 Here at the brickyard we were sheltered from rifle or machine gun fire by the river bank. and the major started us with red wine in mugs. Because were going to have a strange life. British ambulance drivers were killed sometimes. FrancoI am all right. Every night priest five against one! They all laughed again. and I stood outside his cell and I said as though I were going to confession.Oh. though.How did you happen to do that Why didnt you join up with usI dont know. Priest wants Austrians to win the war. the major said.

 My legs felt warm and wet and my shoes were wet and warm inside. I wish she were here now.Im awfully sorry. Sculpture had always seemed a dull businessstill. That is true.We sat on the flat stone bench and I held Catherine Barkleys hand. baby. But those grenadiers; all over six feet. Rocca said. Some of the wounded were noisy but most were quiet. and stood up. We read.

There arent enough troops here for a real attack. There was nothing to write about. with many tastes alike. it seemed. Would you like us to take the carsThats what I wanted to ask you. tenente (first finger). They picked me up and took me into the dressing room. I said. One of their drivers came over to me.Shes nice. There are a few real wounded. I would go crazy.

 I said. This was better than going every evening to the house for officers where the girls climbed all over you and put your cap on backward as a sign of affection between their trips upstairs with brother officers. darling.Do you like itVery much. Always with the girls.We sat on the flat stone bench and I held Catherine Barkleys hand. we are. with many tastes alike. Maria. Didnt you see itNo. I love you too much. Whats the matter with you Do you want us to come outside and get himThe two stretcher bearers picked up the man under the arms and by the legs and brought him in.

No comments:

Post a Comment