Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Manera said. one of the other captains said.

 There were not enough stretchers
 There were not enough stretchers.Lift it high. We stopped at the side of the road. Its a Saint Anthony. I said I hoped it would go well but that he was too kind. The sun was going down and the day was cooling off. there was a soldier sitting on a bench outside in the sun. He started the car.Not like the English Not like Miss BarkleyOh. It evidently made no difference whether I was there to look after things or not. brushed my hair and we started. The Austrian army was created to give Napoleon victories; any Napoleon.

I think we can get you the silver. isnt itWhat gameDont be dull.Because the captain doctor knew I had this rupture.Were you in the StatesSure. No.We must shut up. and then I heard close to me some one saying Mama Mia Oh. below in the town. Sculpture had always seemed a dull businessstill.It is a filthy and vile book. There were three doctors that I knew. he said.

 or else using a continuous lift and sucking into the mouth. He was sitting up beside one of the brick walls. biting his arm.Dont go. and a few more houses had been hit by shell fire. and God be with you. Goodnight. The captain was having a great success with finger games. I said I was sorry. Always in Rome. Besides. baby.

 There was nothing to write about.Bacchus. misunderstandings. Gordini got up and ran for the dugout. It was very hot and when I woke my legs itched. They were a real mask. with plaster and rubble in their gardens and sometimes in the street. They were a real mask.It is probably to draw attention from where the real attack will be. Put it on the floor.Rinaldi picked up the candle. They tell me youre an American.

 said the priest. hung over the two beds. Evviva lesercito. They cant do that to everybody. the instruments shining in the light.Dont go.I went along the narrow road down toward the river. Dont you want us never to attackNo.There were small gray motor cars that passed going very fast usually there was an officer on the seat with the driver and more officers in the back seat. with many tastes alike. Maybe she would pretend that I was her boy that was killed and we would go in the front door and the porter would take off his cap and I would stop at the concierges desk and ask for the key and she would stand by the elevator and then we would get in the elevator and it would go up very slowly clicking at all the floors and then our floor and the boy would open the door and stand there and she would step out and I would step out and we would walk down the hall and I would put the key in the door and open it and go in and then take down the telephone and ask them to send a bottle of capri bianca in a silver bucket full of ice and you would hear the ice against the pail coming down the condor and the boy would knock and I would say leave it outside the door please. Ha! Ha! Ha! The captain spread his hand open.

 I would go crazy. Inside there was a light. That major at the first post was a hogbutcher. and I spoke Italian. and pounded on the window to attract his attention. But as long as you drive the cars and behave  and dont talk so other officers can hear. the line of the river that separated the two armies. She stood up and put out her hand. the lieutenant said. I said.He does really. I will write you cards to my family in Amalfi.

The adjutant.Whats the matter nowNew rings.Ive come back to Catherine in the night.Priest every night five against one. Were you on permissionYes. His mother sent it to me. This chap of yours was very anxious for me to see you.I wish you were back. tipping their heads back. It did not have anything to do with me.Whats the matterHe looked at me. I looked across the wire at the Austrian lines.

 Shell be off then.I sat in the reception hail of the villa. go to hell. I said in Italian. I said.It was a ghastly show. Walking home Rinaldi said. He had always known what I did not know and what. He opened his trunk and took out a bottle.No. I said. opened it.

Im all right. Ill see the medical wallahs. cloudy with snowwater and running fast through the spiles of the bridge. We crossed the brickyard. as they fall from an icicle after the sun has gone. dusty and tired. Manera lit his lighter and passed it around. It might be good though. and one day at the end of the fall when I was out where the oak forest had been I saw a cloud coming over the mountain.Did you ever read the Black Pig asked the lieutenant. sototenente (the thumb). What hit youMe.

 Passini said sarcastically. she said. said Passini. Gordini stood up and went outside with me. I told them what I had heard. I could have given him that anyway. Its only the ambulance. The attack would cross the river up above the narrow gorge and spread up the hillside. The mountain that was beyond the valley and the hillside where the chestnut forest grew was captured and there were victories beyond the plain on the plateau to the south and we crossed the river in August and lived in a house in Gorizia that had a fountain and many thick shady trees in a walled garden and a wistaria vine purple on the side of the house. At the first battle you all run. lieutenant! he shouted. I was always able to forget.

 Its been in there too long. drunk. I said. It was Miss Ferguson. After supper I would go and see Catherine Barkley.He shook his head.Ill bring it to you. I suppose.Priest not happy. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth.Had you been engaged longEight years. There was a little shelter of green branches outside over the entrance and in the dark the night wind rustled the leaves dried by the sun.

 said the lieutenant.Be a good boy and be careful. said Bassi. I knew. Where did you meet her In the Cova Where did you go How did you feel Tell me everything at once. and stopped at the main dressing station. instead there is a war.But Scotland is England.They dont give them like that. I think so. A regiment went by in the road and I watched them pass. She waved again and then I was out of the driveway and climbing up into the seat of the ambulance and we started.

 the major said. I said. and in the fall when the rains came the leaves all fell from the chestnut trees and the branches were bare and the trunks black with rain.Yes.You should not let us talk this way. Then. She put it in my hand.How do you do I said. under a hill beyond the river.You dont wear himNo. There are some people who never realize.Thats nothing.

 The priest was good but dull. the others dusty. Halfway through the wine I did not want any more.Cough. It was there that the offensive was to begin.You dont wear himNo. There were many marble busts on painted wooden pillars along the walls of the room they used for an office. and his hair shone. I wish she were here now. I had not said it before. Manera said. one of the other captains said.

No comments:

Post a Comment